Side Effects of Toprol-XL
In clinical trials involving Toprol-XL, the most common side effects included slow heart rate, tiredness, and dizziness. Less common side effects included such things as headache, allergic reactions, and increased liver enzymes. Toprol-XL side effects are generally minor, but seek medical attention immediately if you experience difficulty breathing, chest pain, or an irregular heartbeat while taking the medication.
Side Effects of Toprol-XL: An Overview
As with any medicine, side effects can occur with Toprol-XL® (metoprolol succinate). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Toprol-XL. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Toprol-XL side effects with you.)
Common Toprol-XL Side Effects
Toprol-XL has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Toprol-XL included:
- Slow heart rate -- in up to 16 percent of people
- Tiredness -- up to 10 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 10 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 5 percent
- Itching or unexplained rash -- up to 5 percent
- Depression -- up to 5 percent (see Toprol and Depression)
- Shortness of breath -- up to 3 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in more than 1 percent of people) included but were not limited to:
- Cold, tingling, or numbness in the hands or feet
- Swelling of the arms, legs, hands, or feet
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Shortness of breath
- Dry mouth