Blood Pressure Home > Uniretic

Uniretic is a prescription drug used to help lower high blood pressure. It consists of two different medications: moexipril and hydrochlorothiazide. This combination of blood pressure medications helps to reduce blood volume and relax the blood vessels. This product comes in tablet form and is taken once a day. Possible side effects include fatigue, coughing, and dizziness.

What Is Uniretic?

Uniretic® (moexipril/HCTZ) is a prescription medication licensed to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It is a combination of two other prescription medicines: moexipril (Univasc®) and hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide®, Oretic®), or HCTZ for short.
(Click Uniretic Uses for more information on this topic, including possible off-label uses.)

Who Makes This Medication?

Uniretic is made by UCB, Inc.

How Does Uniretic Work?

One of the medicines in Uniretic, HCTZ, is a diuretic ("water pill"). It works by increasing the amount of salt and water the kidneys remove from the blood. This extra salt and water is then passed out through the urine. The removal of salt and water decreases blood volume, resulting in lower blood pressure.
The other medicine in Uniretic, moexipril, is an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor, or ACE inhibitor for short. It works by blocking the activity of the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE), an enzyme found in the body. One of the actions of ACE is to help make a hormone in the body that constricts (narrows) blood vessels. When ACE is blocked, less of the blood vessel-constricting hormone is made, which causes blood vessels to relax and blood pressure to lower.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.