Blood Pressure Home > Toprol-XL Precautions and Warnings
For people taking Toprol-XL, warnings and precautions to be aware of with the medication concern such things as the dangers of stopping the drug abruptly. Some other safety concerns have to do with the drug's potential to cause extremely low blood pressure. Certain people should not take Toprol-XL, such as those with serious congestive heart failure.
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure, a history of heart attack, or irregular heart rhythm
- A slow heart rate
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Kidney disease
- Raynaud's phenomenon or other circulation problems
- A blood vessel disease
- Any allergies, including allergies to other beta blockers, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant (see Toprol-XL and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding (see Metoprolol and Breastfeeding)
- Will be undergoing surgery or anesthesia.