Norvasc dosing will vary from patient to patient, depending on your age, what you are treating, other existing medical conditions, and other medicines you may already be taking. Most adults taking Norvasc typically start off with 5 mg per day, but depending on whether you are reaching your treatment goal or if side effects occur, your healthcare provider may alter your Norvasc dosage accordingly.
Norvasc Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of Norvasc® (amlodipine besylate) recommended by your healthcare provider will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Norvasc dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Norvasc Dosing for Adults
The recommended starting Norvasc dose in people with high blood pressure (hypertension) or heart disease is Norvasc 5 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to Norvasc 10 mg daily. The dosage can also be decreased if you experience bothersome Norvasc side effects.
Norvasc Dosing for Children
The recommended starting dose of Norvasc for children ages as young as six years old with high blood pressure is Norvasc 2.5 to 5 mg once daily.
- Norvasc comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- It does not matter if you take Norvasc with or without food.
- Norvasc should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of Norvasc in your blood.
- For Norvasc to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Norvasc will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Norvasc or your Norvasc dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.