Blood Pressure Home > Nifedipine
When and How Do I Take It?General considerations for when and how to take nifedipine include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet or capsule form. It is taken by mouth, usually one to four times per day, depending on the particular form.
- Adalat CC, Afeditab CR, and Nifediac CC should be taken on an empty stomach. You can take Nifedical XL, Procardia, and Procardia XL with or without food.
- Because nifedipine tablets are extended-release, they should not be broken, crushed, or chewed. Be sure to swallow the tablets whole.
- Even though nifedipine capsules are not extended-release, they should be swallowed whole.
- Nifedipine should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular nifedipine product
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.