Blood Pressure Home > Micardis HCT Dosage
For those who are treating high blood pressure with Micardis HCT, dosage recommendations generally start at 40 mg/12.5 mg once a day. Depending on your response to the medication, your healthcare provider may choose to increase or decrease your dosage after several weeks. Those with moderate to severe liver disease, gallstones, or other gallbladder problems may be started on a lower Micardis HCT dosage.
The dose of Micardis HCT® (telmisartan/hydrochlorothiazide) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- How you respond to Micardis HCT.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dosage of Micardis HCT for most people with high blood pressure (hypertension) is 40 mg/12.5 mg, taken once a day. Based on the blood pressure response and/or Micardis HCT side effects, the dosage may be increased or decreased. With each change in dosage, it may take several weeks to see the full effects of Micardis HCT on blood pressure.
If you have moderate to severe liver disease (such as cirrhosis), gallstones, or other gallbladder problems, your body may metabolize Micardis HCT differently than intended. Therefore, your healthcare provider may start you on a lower dose of Micardis HCT and will likely monitor your situation more closely, or may recommend another blood pressure medicine.
Considerations for people taking Micardis HCT include the following:
- Your Micardis HCT dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Micardis HCT may be taken with or without food.
- Make sure to take Micardis HCT at the same time each day to maintain even levels of medicine in the blood.
- For Micardis HCT to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you do not take your Micardis HCT as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Micardis HCT or your Micardis HCT dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Micardis HCT without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.