Blood Pressure Home > Generic Maxzide

Now that the patent for the brand-name version has expired, generic Maxzide is available. The medication is used to treat high blood pressure and fluid retention, and it comes in a few different strengths. Some of the companies that make generic Maxzide include Barr Laboratories, Major Pharmaceuticals, and Pliva, Inc.

An Overview of Generic Maxzide

Maxzide® (triamterene-HCTZ) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and water retention (edema). It is a combination of two diuretic medications: triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ).
Brand-name Maxzide is made by Mylan Pharmaceuticals. However, the patent has since expired and generic Maxzide is now available.

Strengths of Generic Maxzide

Generic Maxzide tablets are available in the following strengths:
  • Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide 25/37.5 mg -- containing 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide and 37.5 mg triamterene
  • Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide 50/75 mg -- containing 50 mg hydrochlorothiazide and 75 mg triamterene.
There is another medication that combines hydrochlorothiazide and triamterene in a capsule form (see Dyazide for more information).

Who Makes Generic Maxzide?

Generic Maxzide is currently manufactured by a few different manufacturers, including:
  • Mylan Pharmaceuticals (who also makes brand-name Maxzide)
  • Barr Laboratories
  • Watson Pharmaceuticals
  • Sandoz Pharmaceuticals
  • Major Pharmaceuticals
  • Apotheca
  • Pliva, Inc.
  • Apotex Corp.
If interested, you can ask your pharmacist about all of the different makers of generic Maxzide.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.