Blood Pressure Home > Lisinopril Overdose
As with any medication, it is possible to take too much lisinopril. Overdose symptoms can vary, but typically include extremely low blood pressure, increased levels of sodium or potassium in the blood, or kidney failure. Treatment options will depend on how recent the overdose was. In many cases, treatment for a lisinopril overdose will include giving fluids through an IV or medications to increase blood pressure.
Lisinopril Overdose: A Summary
Lisinopril (available as Zestril®, Prinivil®, and generic lisinopril) is a medication used to control high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. Even though it happens rarely, a person can take too much lisinopril, just like with any other medication. Lisinopril overdose effects will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much lisinopril is taken and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on lisinopril, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of a Lisinopril Overdose
Signs of a lisinopril overdose can vary, but may include:
- Extremely low blood pressure
- Increased levels of sodium or potassium in the blood
- Kidney failure.
Treatment for a Lisinopril Overdose
The treatment for a lisinopril overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Once in the body, lisinopril may also be removed with dialysis. Treatment also involves supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a lisinopril overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to increase blood pressure
- Other treatments based on complications that occur
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken a lisinopril overdose.