Blood Pressure Home > Precautions and Warnings With Isradipine
There are many precautions and warnings with isradipine to be aware of, including information on who should not take the medicine. Do not take isradipine if you are allergic to any components of the medication. Precautions and warnings with isradipine also apply to people who have congestive heart failure, as calcium channel blockers can cause fluid retention and decrease the heart's ability to pump blood.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking isradipine include the following:
- The medication should be used with caution in people with congestive heart failure (CHF). Calcium channel blockers (such as isradipine) can cause fluid retention (edema) and can decrease the heart's ability to pump blood, which can be especially dangerous in people with CHF.
- Isradipine can cause low blood pressure (hypotension). Be sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have any symptoms of low blood pressure, such as lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Isradipine can interact with a number of medicines (see Drug Interactions With Isradipine).
- Isradipine is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it may not be safe to use during pregnancy. Talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of using the drug while pregnant (see Dynacirc and Pregnancy).
- It is not known if isradipine passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to using the drug (see Dynacirc and Breastfeeding).