Blood Pressure Home > Hydrochlorothiazide
- The medication comes in tablet and capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day, although it may be taken several times a day.
- You can take it with or without food.
- If necessary, hydrochlorothiazide tablets (but not capsules) may be split in half.
- It should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of medicine in your blood. However, some people do not need to take it every day, especially those who are taking it for fluid retention.
- Because hydrochlorothiazide increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning (to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night). If you take it multiple times per day, it is best to the take the last dose of the day before 6 PM (unless you are instructed otherwise).
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed; it will not work if you stop taking it.