Blood Pressure Home > Hydrochlorothiazide Alternatives

If side effects occur with the use of hydrochlorothiazide, alternatives to the medication may be recommended. Alternative treatments for high blood pressure may include weight loss, changes in diet, or other blood pressure medicines. Alternatives to hydrochlorothiazide for treating water retention may include limiting salt and fluid intake, being more physically active, or trying other diuretic medications.

Hydrochlorothiazide Alternatives Explained

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ or HCT for short) is a prescription medicine used for controlling high blood pressure or dealing with fluid retention. It is available as a generic as well as under several brand names, including Esidrix®, HydroDIURIL®, Microzide®, and Oretic®. For most people, HCTZ is effective in treating their condition, and most people tolerate it well. However, as with all medicines, side effects can occur. Also, in some cases, the medicine may not completely control the conditions. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) for high blood pressure or water retention treatment.

Hydrochlorothiazide Alternatives for High Blood Pressure

There are many alternatives to hydrochlorothiazide for controlling high blood pressure, including:
  • Losing weight
  • Limiting your salt intake
  • Becoming more physically active
  • Drinking less alcohol
  • Modifying your diet (including more fruits and vegetables)
  • Taking other medications (see High Blood Pressure Medication for more information).
(Click High Blood Pressure Treatment for more treatment options for high blood pressure.)
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.