Blood Pressure Home > What Causes High Blood Pressure?
While not specific causes of high blood pressure, certain factors can increase a person's chance of developing it. These factors are known as high blood pressure risk factors and include:
- Being of African-American descent
- Being overweight
- Having diabetes
- Being a male over the age of 45 or a female over the age of 55
- Eating a lot of salty foods.
Although more men have high blood pressure than women, women can their risk if they take birth control pills.
High blood pressure can be made worse by different things. A few factors that can cause the condition to worsen include:
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- A lack of exercise
- Prolonged and poorly managed stress
- A diet high in fat and/or salt.