Blood Pressure Home > High Blood Pressure
There are a number of different categories of high blood pressure. Most people have what is known as essential hypertension or primary hypertension. This is high blood pressure where the cause is not known. Other types include:
- Isolated systolic hypertension
- White-coat hypertension
- Malignant hypertension
- Portal hypertension
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Secondary hypertension
- Intracranial hypertension
There are several types of high blood pressure in pregnancy. These types include:
- Preeclampsia (also known as pregnancy-induced hypertension, toxemia of pregnancy, or acute hypertensive disease of pregnancy)
- Chronic hypertension
- Chronic hypertension with preeclampsia
- Late hypertension (also called gestational hypertension).
Many people do not have symptoms of high blood pressure or discomfort, so they find it easy to ignore their condition. However, this significantly increases the chances of having:
Getting the condition under control may add years to a person's life. Healthy lifestyle changes often improve both a person's high blood pressure and his or her quality of life.