Blood Pressure Home > Fosinopril Dosing
The recommended starting dose for most people with high blood pressure or congestive heart failure is fosinopril 10 mg once a day. Your healthcare provider may increase or decrease your dosage after several weeks, when the full effects of the medication can be measured. In order for fosinopril to work properly, you must take it as prescribed.
Fosinopril Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of fosinopril sodium (Monopril®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Fosinopril Dosing for High Blood PressureThe recommended starting dosage of fosinopril for most people with high blood pressure (hypertension) is fosinopril 10 mg once daily. Based on the blood pressure response and/or fosinopril side effects, the dosage may be increased or decreased. With each change in dosage, it may take several weeks to see the full effects of fosinopril on lowering blood pressure.
Fosinopril Dosing for Congestive Heart FailureThe recommended starting dosage of fosinopril for most people with congestive heart failure is fosinopril 10 mg once a day. Based on the response and/or fosinopril side effects, the dosage may be increased or decreased. For congestive heart failure, the maximum recommended dose of fosinopril is 40 mg daily.
- Your fosinopril dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- It is best to take fosinopril on an empty stomach at least one hour before a meal. However, it may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Make sure to take fosinopril at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your blood.
- For fosinopril to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Fosinopril will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you do not take your fosinopril as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to fosinopril or your fosinopril dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking fosinopril without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.