Blood Pressure Home > Fosinopril and Dry Eyes
There are a number of potential side effects for people taking fosinopril, and dry eyes do not appear to be one of them. Based on extensive clinical trials on fosinopril, dry eyes were not reported as either a common or rare side effect. However, other ACE inhibitors have been shown to cause dry eyes.
Fosinopril and Dry Eyes: An OverviewThere are several possible side effects for people taking fosinopril (available as Monopril® and in generic form as Fosinopril Sodium tablets). However, dry eyes do not appear to be one of them. This data comes from clinical trials that extensively studied fosinopril and documented its side effects. In thousands of people studied worldwide, dry eyes were not reported as either a common or rare side effect. However, dry eyes have been reported with other ACE inhibitors.
Suggestions for Dry Eye ReliefAlthough fosinopril does not cause dry eyes, they are a very common condition. Below are some suggestions that may provide relief from dry eyes:
- Don't use artificial tears that irritate your eyes. Try another brand or preparation.
- Non-preserved drops may be more comfortable.
- Blink several times a minute while reading or working on the computer.
- Protect your eyes from drafts, breezes, and wind.
- Put a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time, including the bedroom, or install a humidifier in your heating and air conditioning unit.
- Don't smoke, and stay out of smoky rooms.
- Apply mascara only to the tips of your lashes so it doesn't get in your eyes. If you use eyeliner or eye shadow, put it only on the skin above your lashes, not on the sensitive skin under your lashes or close to your eyes.
- Ask your doctor whether any of your other medications contribute to dryness, and if so, how to reduce that effect. Some medications that can cause dry eyes include:
o Antihistamineso Decongestantso Diureticso Some diarrhea medicineso Some antipsychotic drugso Tranquilizerso Some blood pressure medications (including other types of ACE inhibitors)