Blood Pressure Home > Exforge Dosage
To help lower costs, some people who are already taking amlodipine and valsartan may switch to the combination drug Exforge. Dosage recommendations for Exforge typically vary from 5/160 mg to 10/320 mg, depending on the previous dose of amlodipine and valsartan that you were taking and the severity of your blood pressure.
The dose of Exforge® (amlodipine and valsartan) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Exforge
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Exforge dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Exforge Dosing for High Blood PressureExforge is a combination of two medications: amlodipine (Norvasc®) and valsartan (Diovan®). It is usually prescribed when one of the two medications alone does not adequately control blood pressure. Also, it is a good option for people who are already taking both medications, who may benefit from taking fewer tablets and possibly lower costs by switching to Exforge.
The recommended Exforge dose varies from Exforge 5/160 mg to Exforge 10/320 mg once daily, depending on your previous dose of amlodipine or valsartan and the severity of your blood pressure. If you have not taken either medication before, the recommended starting dosage is Exforge 5/160 mg once daily.
Considerations for people taking Exforge include the following:
- Exforge comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually once a day.
- Exforge can be taken with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Take Exforge at the same time each day, to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Exforge will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Exforge dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.