Blood Pressure Home > Exforge HCT Overdose
Taking an overdose of Exforge HCT (amlodipine-valsartan-hydrochlorothiazide) could lead to fainting, dehydration, an electrolyte imbalance, and various other problems. The effects of an overdose can be dangerous, so you should seek medical attention immediately if you think you may have taken too much. Treatment often involves "pumping the stomach," taking certain medications, and supportive care.
Exforge HCT® (amlodipine-valsartan-hydrochlorothiazide) is a prescription high blood pressure medication. It contains a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide), a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine), and an angiotensin II receptor blocker (valsartan). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Exforge HCT.
The specific effects of an Exforge HCT overdose can be dangerous but will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Exforge HCT dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
An overdose of Exforge HCT may cause the following problems:
- Low blood pressure
- Fast heart rate
- Heart palpitations
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Kidney failure.
The treatment for an overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment will also involve supportive care, such as:
- Giving medications to increase the heart rate
- Giving IV fluids and medications to increase blood pressure
- Correction of electrolyte imbalances.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken an Exforge HCT overdose.