Blood Pressure Home > Enalapril Precautions and Warnings
For people considering taking enalapril, precautions and warnings to be aware of include possible drug interactions that may occur with enalapril and other medications (such as diuretics). Other precautions and warnings for enalapril users involve avoiding salt substitutes with potassium while taking the medication. Taking enalapril can also result in low blood pressure, swelling, a decrease in kidney function, and other health problems.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking enalapril (Vasotec® and generic Enalapril Maleate) if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure, aortic stenosis, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Liver disease, including cirrhosis
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE)
- A personal or family history of angioedema, which is swelling under the skin
- Any allergies, including allergies to angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are on dialysis
- Will be undergoing surgery or anesthesia.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you are currently taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.