Blood Pressure Home > Enalapril and Dry Eyes
While some people may think that there is a relationship between enalapril and dry eyes, data from clinical trials show that dry eyes do not appear to be a side effect of the medication. If you are taking enalapril and have dry eyes, there are several things you can try in order to find relief. Some of these things may involve avoiding smoking and smoky rooms, blinking several times a minute when reading or using the computer, and using a humidifier.
There are several possible side effects that may occur in people taking enalapril (available as Vasotec® and generic Enalapril Maleate). Dry eyes, however, do not appear to be one of them. This conclusion is based on data from clinical trials that extensively studied enalapril and documented its side effects. In thousands of people studied worldwide, dry eyes were not reported as either a common or rare side effect. Dry eyes have been reported with other ACE inhibitors, though.
Although enalapril does not cause dry eyes, they are a very common condition. Below are some suggestions that may provide relief from dry eyes:
- Don't use artificial tears that irritate your eyes. Try another brand or preparation.
- Try non-preserved drops for your eyes. They may be more comfortable.
- Blink several times a minute while reading or working on the computer.
- Protect your eyes from drafts, breezes, and wind.
- Put a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time, including the bedroom, or install a humidifier in your heating and air conditioning unit.
- Don't smoke, and stay out of smoky rooms.
- Apply mascara only to the tips of your lashes so it doesn't get in your eyes. If you use eyeliner or eye shadow, put it only on the skin above your lashes, not on the sensitive skin under your lashes or close to your eyes.
- Ask your doctor whether any of your other medications contribute to dryness, and if so, how to reduce that effect. Some medications that can cause dry eyes include:
o Antihistamineso Decongestantso Diureticso Some diarrhea medicineo Some antipsychotic drugso Tranquilizerso Some blood pressure medications (including other types of ACE inhibitors)