Blood Pressure Home > Doxazosin Side Effects
Although most people have no problems with doxazosin, reactions are possible. Common ones include dizziness, fatigue, and difficulty breathing. In many cases, these side effects are minor and easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, serious side effects of doxazosin, such as signs of an allergic reaction or severe lightheadedness, should be reported to your healthcare provider.
An Introduction to Doxazosin Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with doxazosin mesylate (Cardura®). However, not everyone who takes this drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with doxazosin. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of Doxazosin
Doxazosin has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, with many people being evaluated. During these studies, side effects occurring in a group of people taking the drug are always documented and compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common doxazosin side effects include:
- Dizziness -- occurring in up to 19 percent of people
- Tiredness (fatigue) or a general ill feeling (malaise) -- up to 12 percent
- Sleepiness or drowsiness -- up to 5 percent
- Swelling or water weight gain (edema) -- up to 2.7 percent
- Difficulty breathing (dyspnea) -- up to 2.6 percent
- Low blood pressure (hypotension) -- up to 1.7 percent.
Serious Side EffectsSome doxazosin side effects should be reported to your healthcare provider right away, including but not limited to:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained skin rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Severe lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- A painful erection of the penis that does not go away (priapism).