Blood Pressure Home > Diovan Side Effects
Although most people tolerate Diovan well, there are some Diovan side effects that people should be aware of. Among the drug's common side effects are dizziness, a cough, and an increase in blood potassium levels. Some rare side effects of Diovan include impotence, hepatitis, and constipation. There are also some side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider, including itching, wheezing, and unexplained skin rash.
An Overview of Diovan Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Diovan® (valsartan). However, not everyone who takes Diovan will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Diovan well. When people do develop Diovan side effects, in many cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or a healthcare provider. Serious side effects can occur, but are less common.
(The side effects of Diovan discussed below are not a complete list of side effects reported with Diovan. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Diovan side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Diovan
Diovan has been studied extensively in clinical trials, with thousands of people worldwide having been evaluated while taking this drug. In these studies, side effects are always documented and compared to side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common Diovan side effects seen in people with high blood pressure include:
- Dizziness -- up to 8 percent of people
- An increase in blood potassium levels -- up to 4.4 percent of people
- Infection with a virus, such as the common cold or flu -- up to 3 percent of people
- Cough -- up to 2.6 percent of people
- Fatigue -- up to 2 percent of people
- Stomach pain -- up to 2 percent of people.
In people with congestive heart failure, the most common side effects with Diovan include:
- Dizziness -- up to 17 percent of people
- An increase in blood potassium levels -- up to 10 percent of people
- Extremely Low blood pressure -- up to 7 percent of people
- Diarrhea -- up to 5 percent of people.
Other common side effects seen in people with congestive heart failure include but are not limited to:
- Joint pain
- Back pain.