Blood Pressure Home > Capoten Precautions and Warnings
An awareness of Capoten precautions and warnings before starting the medicine can help ensure a safe treatment process. Potential side effects include swelling of the head and neck, allergic reactions, and extreme low blood pressure. Other Capoten precautions and warnings pertain to women who are pregnant or nursing and people who are allergic to the drug or to any of the components used to make it.
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure, aortic stenosis, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Liver disease, including cirrhosis
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE)
- A personal or family history of angioedema (swelling under the skin)
- Any allergies, including allergies to ACE inhibitors, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant (see Captopril and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding
- Are on dialysis
- Will be undergoing surgery or anesthesia.
Tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are currently taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.