Blood Pressure Home > Calan Warnings and Precautions
Before taking Calan, warnings and precautions for the medication should be fully understood. For example, you should use caution when taking Calan if you have kidney or liver disease, congestive heart failure, of left ventricular dysfunction. You should not take Calan if you are allergic to any ingredients used to make the medication or if you have certain medical conditions (such as Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome).
Calan: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Calan® (verapamil hydrochloride) if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Low blood pressure
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Myasthenia gravis
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.