Blood Pressure Home > Calan
How Does Calan Work?Calan is part of a class of drugs called calcium channel blockers. It helps to slow down the rate at which calcium moves into your heart and blood vessels. This, in turn, helps to relax the vessels, which allows better blood flow and makes it easier for the heart to pump blood.
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take Calan include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually three or four times a day.
- You can take Calan with or without food.
- Calan should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Calan will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Calan your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.