Blood Pressure Home > Calan and Dry Mouth
Clinical studies have shown that less than 1 percent of people taking Calan experienced a dry mouth. If you are taking Calan and dry mouth occurs, try drinking water more frequently, using a humidifier at night, and avoiding caffeinated beverages. If these suggestions don't help, talk with a healthcare provider. He or she may recommend that you try artificial saliva, adjust your Calan dosage, or try another medicine.
Calan and Dry Mouth: An OverviewDry mouth is one of the possible side effects of Calan® (verapamil hydrochloride). In studies, less than 1 percent of people taking Calan developed a dry mouth.
Calan and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsFor people taking Calan, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.