Blood Pressure Home > Avalide Side Effects
The most commonly reported side effects of Avalide include dizziness, tiredness, and muscle pain. If reactions occur, they are typically minor and easily treated. However, some problems, such as fainting, seizures, or difficulty breathing, are potentially dangerous and require immediate medical attention.
An Introduction to Avalide Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Avalide® (irbesartan/HCTZ) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of Avalide's possible side effects. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of AvalideAvalide has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received Avalide, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In clinical studies, the most common side effects of Avalide included:
- Dizziness -- in up to 8 percent of people
- Tiredness -- up to 6 percent
- Muscle and joint pain -- up to 6 percent
- Nausea and vomiting -- up to 3 percent
- Flu-like symptoms -- up to 3 percent
- Swelling, or edema, in the arms, hands, legs, ankles, or feet -- up to 3 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 2 percent
- Abdominal (stomach) pain -- up to 2 percent
- Chest pain -- up to 2 percent
- Problems with urination -- up to 2 percent
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 1 percent.
Some side effects occurred in at least 1 percent of people who were given Avalide in clinical trials, but also occurred as often (or sometimes more often) in people who were taking the placebo. Therefore, it is difficult to know if these symptoms are due to Avalide or something else. Such side effects included:
- Sinus problems and stuffy nose
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold
- Sore throat
- Urinary tract infection
- Anxiety or nervousness
- Muscle cramps.