Lotrel and Dry Eyes
There are several possible side effects of Lotrel, and dry eyes were not reported as one of them. However, dry eyes have been reported with other medications that contain an ACE inhibitor. Some suggestions to relieve dry eyes include placing a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time, staying out of smoky rooms, and protecting your eyes from drafts.
Lotrel and Dry Eyes: An OverviewThere are several possible side effects for people taking Lotrel® (benazepril hydrochloride and amlodipine). Dry eyes, however, do not appear to be one of them. This data comes from clinical trials that extensively studied Lotrel and documented its side effects. In thousands of people studied worldwide, dry eyes were not reported as either a common or rare side effect. However, dry eyes have been reported with other medicines that contain an ACE inhibitor.
Suggestions for Dry Eye ReliefAlthough Lotrel does not appear to cause dry eyes, they are a very common condition. Below are some suggestions that may provide relief from dry eyes:
- Don't use artificial tears that irritate your eyes. Try another brand or preparation.
- Non-preserved drops may be more comfortable.
- Blink several times a minute while reading or working on the computer.
- Protect your eyes from drafts, breezes, and wind.
- Put a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time, including the bedroom, or install a humidifier in your heating and air-conditioning unit.
- Don't smoke, and stay out of smoky rooms.
- Apply mascara only to the tips of your lashes so it doesn't get in your eyes. If you use eyeliner or eye shadow, put it only on the skin above your lashes, not on the sensitive skin under your lashes or close to your eyes.
- Ask your doctor whether any of your other medications contribute to dryness, and if so, how to reduce that effect. Some medications that can cause dry eyes include:
o Antihistamineso Decongestantso Diureticso Some diarrhea medicineo Some antipsychotic drugso Tranquilizerso Some blood pressure medications (including other types of ACE inhibitors)