Lisinopril Dosage for Congestive Heart FailureThe recommended starting dose of lisinopril for people with congestive heart failure is 5 mg, taken once daily. Lisinopril has been approved as an add-on therapy to diuretics and digoxin (Digitek®, Lanoxin®) or digitoxin and should, therefore, be monitored when starting initial treatment.
After two weeks, if you have not reached your treatment goals, your healthcare provider may increase your lisinopril dosage by 10 mg. The dose can also be decreased if side effects occur.
If you have heart failure and kidney disease, your healthcare provider may choose to start you on a lower dose of lisinopril, such as 2.5 mg, taken once daily.
Lisinopril Dosage After a Heart AttackIf you have had a heart attack (myocardial infarction) and are stable within 24 hours, lisinopril may be used to improve the chances of survival. The recommended starting dose is 5 mg, followed by another 5 mg in 24 hours, and then 10 mg at 48 hours. Lisinopril 10 mg may then be continued for six weeks.
If you have kidney disease and are taking lisinopril for an acute heart attack, your healthcare provider may choose to proceed with caution.
Lisinopril Dosage in Children
The recommended starting dose of lisinopril for children ages 6 years and older is 0.07 mg per kg, taken once daily (up to 5 mg total).
General Lisinopril Dosage InformationConsiderations for people taking lisinopril include the following:
- Your lisinopril dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Lisinopril may be taken with or without food.
- Make sure to take lisinopril at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medication in the blood.
- For lisinopril to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Lisinopril will not work if you take in a way other than how your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you do not take your lisinopril as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to lisinopril or your lisinopril dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking lisinopril without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.