Depression and Lisinopril
Depression occurs in less than 1 percent of people who take lisinopril. However, because depression is so common in the general population, it is unclear whether lisinopril and depression are linked. Possible symptoms of depression include restlessness and irritability, feelings of guilt and helplessness, and difficulty concentrating or making decisions. If you're taking lisinopril and depression symptoms become apparent, talk to your healthcare provider.
Depression and Lisinopril: An OverviewSeveral side effects are possible for people taking lisinopril (Zestril®, Prinivil®). Depression appears to be a rare complaint in people taking the drug. In clinical studies, depression was reported in less than 1 percent of people who took lisinopril. Given how common depression is in the general population and how rare a complaint it is in people who take lisinopril, it is difficult to say whether depression is caused by the medicine, specific factors, or a combination of things.
While depression may not be a commonly reported side effect of lisinopril, it is extremely common in society today. In fact, in any given one-year period, 9.5 percent of the population (about 18.8 million American adults) suffers from depression. Therefore, knowing the symptoms of depression can be helpful.
Possible symptoms may include:
- A persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
- Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
- Decreased energy, fatigue, and being "slowed down"
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, and making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
- Appetite and/or weight loss; overeating and weight gain
- Thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
- Restlessness and irritability
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain.
Keep in mind that other conditions can have similar symptoms.