Labetalol Side Effects
In the case of labetalol, side effects most commonly reported include nausea, dizziness, and fatigue. Side effects may also include nasal stuffiness, heartburn, and headache. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience serious problems such as unexplained swelling or sudden weight gain, dark urine, or chest pain.
As with any medicine, side effects can occur with labetalol hydrochloride (Trandate®). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, they are generally minor and either require no treatment or can be treated easily by you or a healthcare provider. Serious reactions are much less common.
(This article discusses most, but not all, side effects with labetalol. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of labetalol side effects with you.)
Side Effects of Labetalol to ReportSome labetalol side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Unexplained swelling or sudden weight gain (see Labetalol and Weight Gain), which may be a sign of heart failure
- Chest pain
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting spells
- Sweating, shaking, or extreme hunger
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Dark urine
- Upper-right abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- An irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- Unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing.