Is Hyzaar Safe During Pregnancy?
) is not recommended for use during pregnancy and comes with a warning of fetal toxicity. This is because during pregnancy, Hyzaar can lead to temporary or permanent problems, including death, in the unborn child.
What Is Pregnancy Category D?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) categorizes Hyzaar as a pregnancy Category D medication for all three trimesters.
The FDA uses a category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category D is given to medicines that have shown clear evidence of risk to the fetus in the studies. Despite these warnings, a pregnancy Category D medicine may still be given to a pregnant woman if her healthcare provider believes that its benefits outweigh the possible risks to the unborn child.
What Is the Risk of Using Hyzaar During Pregnancy?
Some of the complications seen with fetuses or newborns exposed to Hyzaar during pregnancy include:
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Developmental problems with the nervous system
- Developmental problems with the cardiovascular system (this includes the heart and/or blood vessels)
- Developmental problems with the lungs
- Kidney failure
- Deformities of the head and face
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes)
- Loss of life.