Hydrochlorothiazide Alternatives

If side effects occur with the use of hydrochlorothiazide, alternatives to the medication may be recommended. Alternative treatments for high blood pressure may include weight loss, changes in diet, or other blood pressure medicines. Alternatives to hydrochlorothiazide for treating water retention may include limiting salt and fluid intake, being more physically active, or trying other diuretic medications.

Hydrochlorothiazide Alternatives Explained

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ or HCT for short) is a prescription medicine used for controlling high blood pressure or dealing with fluid retention. It is available as a generic as well as under several brand names, including Esidrix®, HydroDIURIL®, Microzide®, and Oretic®. For most people, HCTZ is effective in treating their condition, and most people tolerate it well. However, as with all medicines, side effects can occur. Also, in some cases, the medicine may not completely control the conditions. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) for high blood pressure or water retention treatment.

Hydrochlorothiazide Alternatives for High Blood Pressure

There are many alternatives to hydrochlorothiazide for controlling high blood pressure, including:
  • Losing weight
  • Limiting your salt intake
  • Becoming more physically active
  • Drinking less alcohol
  • Modifying your diet (including more fruits and vegetables)
  • Taking other medications (see High Blood Pressure Medication for more information).
(Click High Blood Pressure Treatment for more treatment options for high blood pressure.)
Ouch! 6 Types of Pain You Might Experience When Getting a Stent

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) Drug Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.