Exforge HCT Overdose

Taking an overdose of Exforge HCT (amlodipine-valsartan-hydrochlorothiazide) could lead to fainting, dehydration, an electrolyte imbalance, and various other problems. The effects of an overdose can be dangerous, so you should seek medical attention immediately if you think you may have taken too much. Treatment often involves "pumping the stomach," taking certain medications, and supportive care.

Can You Take Too Much Exforge HCT?

Exforge HCT® (amlodipine-valsartan-hydrochlorothiazide) is a prescription high blood pressure medication. It contains a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide), a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine), and an angiotensin II receptor blocker (valsartan). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Exforge HCT.
 
The specific effects of an Exforge HCT overdose can be dangerous but will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Exforge HCT dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
 

Effects of an Overdose

An overdose of Exforge HCT may cause the following problems:
 
  • Low blood pressure
  • Fast heart rate
  • Lightheadedness
  • Dizziness
  • Fainting
  • Heart palpitations
  • Electrolyte imbalance
  • Dehydration
  • Kidney failure.
     

Treatment for an Exforge HCT Overdose

The treatment for an overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment will also involve supportive care, such as:
 
  • Giving medications to increase the heart rate
  • Giving IV fluids and medications to increase blood pressure
  • Correction of electrolyte imbalances.
     
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken an Exforge HCT overdose.
 
Ways to Prep Your Kitchen to Eat Well During Cancer Treatment

Exforge HCT Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.