Symptoms of an overdose with Diovan can vary, but may include increased heart rate, loss of consciousness, and extremely low blood pressure. Treating a recent overdose may involve pumping the stomach. If the medication has already been absorbed into the blood, the healthcare provider will use supportive care to treat the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Is It Possible to Take Too Much Diovan?
Diovan® (valsartan) is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure, as well as to help improve survival following a heart attack. Although it is rare, a person can overdose on Diovan just like any other medicine.
The effects of a Diovan overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Diovan was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you believe you or someone else may have taken too much Diovan, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of a Diovan OverdoseSigns and symptoms of an overdose with Diovan can vary, but may include:
- Extremely low blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- Increased levels of potassium in the blood
- Kidney failure
- Loss of consciousness.
Treatment for an Overdose With Diovan
The treatment for a Diovan overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." However, there is no readily available treatment that can remove Diovan quickly once it has been absorbed into the body.
Therefore, in these cases, treatment involves supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to increase blood pressure
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs.