Cozaar Side Effects
Several side effects may occur with the use of Cozaar. Side effects that are most commonly reported in people treating diabetic nephropathy include low blood pressure, fatigue, weight gain, and diarrhea. The most common side effects seen in those with high blood pressure include nasal congestion, infection, and back pain. If you experience severe side effects of Cozaar, such as unexplained blisters or difficulty breathing, be sure to notify your healthcare provider immediately.
Cozaar Side Effects: An Overview
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Cozaar® (losartan potassium). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If Cozaar side effects do occur, they are generally minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or a healthcare provider. Serious side effects can occur, but are less common.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Cozaar. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Cozaar side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Cozaar
Cozaar has been studied extensively in clinical trials, with thousands of people worldwide having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects are always documented and compared to side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common Cozaar side effects seen in people with high blood pressure include:
- Infection, such as the common cold or flu -- in up to 8 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 3 percent
- Nasal congestion -- up to 2 percent
- Back pain -- up to 2 percent.
In people with diabetic nephropathy, common side effects include:
- Diarrhea -- in up to 15 percent of people
- Fatigue -- up to 14 percent
- Anemia -- up to 14 percent
- Increase in blood potassium levels -- up to 7 percent
- Low blood pressure -- up to 7 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 4 percent (see Cozaar and Weight Gain).