Catapres Warnings and Precautions
Before you start taking Catapres, precautions and warnings for the drug should be reviewed with your healthcare provider. It is important to let your healthcare provider know if you have heart disease, an irregular heart rhythm, or kidney disease before using the medication. Catapres may cause problems in people with these conditions and should be used with caution.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Catapres® (clonidine hydrochloride) if you have:
- Heart disease, especially chest pain (angina) or a recent heart attack
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- A history of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- An upcoming surgery
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Catapres comes in the form of tablets or skin patches. This article applies to the tablet form only (see Catapres-TTS for information about the patch form).