If you happen to take too much Bystolic (nebivolol), overdose symptoms could include vomiting, dizziness, and fatigue. An overdose can also cause heart failure, constriction of the airway, and heart block. Treatment for an overdose will vary from person to person, but may include "pumping the stomach" or supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Take Too Much Bystolic?
Bystolic® (nebivolol) is a prescription high blood pressure medication that belongs to a class of drugs known as beta blockers. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Bystolic. The specific effects of a Bystolic overdose can be dangerous, but will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Bystolic dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an Overdose of Bystolic
An overdose with Bystolic may cause the following problems:
- Low heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Heart failure
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Constriction of the airway
- Heart block (a problem with the conduction of electrical signals within the heart).
Treatment for a Bystolic Overdose
The treatment for a Bystolic overdose also will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Dialysis is not useful for removing Bystolic from the blood. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which may consist of giving:
- Atropine or other medications to increase the heart rate
- IV fluids and medications to increase blood pressure
- Isoproterenol (Isuprel®) to reverse heart block
- Medications to treat heart failure
- Asthma medications to reverse airway constriction
- IV glucose to reverse low blood sugar.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe you may have overdosed on Bystolic.