Norvasc® (amlodipine besylate) is a prescription drug approved to treat:
- High blood pressure (hypertension). Norvasc can be used alone or in combination with other blood pressure medications.
- Certain types of chest pain (angina), including exercise-induced angina (chronic stable angina) and vasospastic angina (Prinzmetal's or variant angina).
- Coronary artery disease without heart failure to reduce the risk of hospitalization due to angina and reduce the risk for angioplasty or bypass surgery.
Norvasc is taken by mouth, typically once a day. To keep an even level of the medication in your blood, it should be taken at the same time each day.
As with any drug, side effects are possible with Norvasc. For example, some people taking it may experience:
- Swelling or water retention (edema)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
(Click Norvasc for more details about this medication, including how it performed in clinical trials and why it may not be suitable for certain people.)