Your Benicar dosage will depend on your medical history, but the recommended starting dose is 20 mg a day. It may take a few weeks to see the full effects of the medication on blood pressure, at which time the dose may be adjusted. Each Benicar dose comes in a tablet form, and should be taken at the same time each day, with or without food.
Benicar Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Benicar® (olmesartan medoxomil) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking
- How you respond to Benicar.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Benicar Dosage for High Blood PressureThe recommended starting dosage of Benicar for most adults with high blood pressure (hypertension) is 20 mg once a day. Based on the blood pressure response and/or Benicar side effects, the dosage may be increased or decreased. With each change in dosage, it may take several weeks to see the full effects of Benicar on lowering blood pressure.
Benicar is also approved for use in children age six and older. For children who weigh 44 to 77 pounds, the recommended starting Benicar dose is 10 mg once daily. For children who weigh 77 pounds or more, the starting dose is 20 mg once daily. If your child is unable to swallow tablets, your pharmacist may be able to make a liquid form for your child.
- Your Benicar dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Benicar may be taken with or without food.
- Make sure to take Benicar at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your blood.
- For Benicar to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Benicar will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you do not take your Benicar as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Benicar or your Benicar dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Benicar without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.