Benicar HCT Side Effects
Some of the more common side effects of Benicar HCT include dizziness, nausea, and upper respiratory tract infections. Rare reactions include diarrhea, heartburn, and muscle pain. Consult your healthcare provider immediately if you develop any of the more severe problems, such as difficulty breathing, seizures, and confusion. In most cases, side effects are mild and easily treated.
As with any medicine, side effects are associated with Benicar HCT® (olmesartan medoxomil hydrochlorothiazide). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are treated easily by you or a doctor. Serious side effects can occur, but are less common.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Benicar HCT. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of Benicar HCT
Extensive clinical trials have evaluated thousands of people worldwide who were taking Benicar HCT. In these studies, side effects were always documented and compared to those that occurred in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common Benicar HCT side effects include:
- Dizziness -- occurring in up to 9 percent of people
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the flu or common cold -- up to 7 percent
- Increased uric acid levels in the blood -- up to 4 percent
- Nausea -- up to 3 percent.
Other side effects, occurring in more than 1 percent of people, include but are not limited to:
- Spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Heartburn or indigestion (dyspepsia)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Muscle pain (myalgia)
- High cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- High triglycerides (hypertriglyceridemia).