Avapro Side Effects
Several potential side effects may develop with the use of Avapro. Side effects that were most commonly reported include diarrhea, heartburn, dizziness, and fatigue. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience unexplained swelling of the head or neck, itching, or difficulty swallowing. Other rare but possible side effects of Avapro include sexual problems, angina, or heart attack.
Avapro Side Effects: An Overview
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Avapro® (irbesartan). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If Avapro side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or a healthcare provider. Serious side effects can occur, but are less common.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Avapro. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Avapro side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Avapro
Avapro has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, side effects occurring in a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to those that occur in another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common Avapro side effects included:
- Fatigue -- in up to 4 percent of people
- Diarrhea -- up to 3 percent
- Heartburn or indigestion -- up to 2 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 10 percent of people taking Avapro for diabetic nephropathy.
Serious Avapro Side Effects
Some side effects with Avapro should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Unexplained skin rash
- Unexplained blisters or peeling of the skin
- Unexplained swelling of the head or neck (including the face, lips, tongue, or throat)
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting spells
- Decrease in the amount of urine produced.