Atenolol and Dry Eyes
Certain side effects may develop with the use of atenolol, and dry eyes do not appear to be one of them. However, there are a number of things that you can do if you do experience dry eyes while taking atenolol. A few suggestions include protecting your eyes from drafts, breezes, and wind; blinking several times a minute while reading or working on the computer; and putting a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time (such as the bedroom).
Atenolol and Dry Eyes: An Overview
There are several possible side effects for people taking atenolol (Tenormin®). Dry eyes, however, do not appear to be one of them. This data comes from clinical trials that extensively studied atenolol and documented its side effects. In thousands of people studied worldwide, dry eyes were not reported as either a common or rare side effect.
Dry eyes have, however, been reported rarely with other beta blockers. With these drugs, in most cases, symptoms improved when the medicine was stopped.
Suggestions for Dry Eye Relief
Although dry eyes are not a reported side effect with atenolol, they are a very common condition. Below are some suggestions that may provide relief from dry eyes:
- Don't use artificial tears that irritate your eyes. Try another brand or preparation; non-preserved drops may be more comfortable.
- Blink several times a minute while reading or working on the computer.
- Protect your eyes from drafts, breezes, and wind.
- Put a humidifier in the rooms where you spend the most time (including the bedroom) or install a humidifier in your heating and air conditioning unit.
- Don't smoke, and stay out of smoky rooms.
- Apply mascara only to the tips of your lashes so it doesn't get in your eyes. If you use eyeliner or eye shadow, put it only on the skin above your lashes, not on the sensitive skin under your lashes or close to your eyes.
- Ask your doctor whether any of your other medications contribute to dryness, and if so, how to reduce that effect. Some medications that can cause dry eyes include: