Atacand Side Effects
The most common Atacand side effects include upper respiratory infection, dizziness, back pain, and low blood pressure. More serious side effects of Atacand, such as itching, wheezing, or an unexplained rash, should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider.
An Overview of Atacand Side EffectsAs with any medication, there are possible side effects associated with Atacand® (candesartan cilexetil). However, not everyone who takes Atacand will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When side effects do occur, in many cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or a healthcare provider. Serious side effects can occur, but are less common.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Atacand. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Atacand side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Atacand
Atacand has been studied extensively in clinical trials, with thousands of people worldwide having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects are always documented and compared to side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common Atacand side effects include:
- Low blood pressure -- occurring in up to 19 percent of people with congestive heart failure. This is not a common side effect in people with high blood pressure.
- Increased potassium levels in the blood -- in up to 6.3 percent of people with congestive heart failure. This is not a common side effect in people with high blood pressure.
- An upper respiratory infection, such as the common cold or flu -- up to 6 percent of people.
- Dizziness -- up to 4 percent.
- Back pain -- up to 3 percent.