The recommended starting Altace dosage for people with a recent heart attack and congestive heart failure symptoms is Altace 2.5 mg twice a day (total daily dose of 5 mg). Based on the response and/or side effects, the Altace dosage may be increased or decreased.
Risk Reduction and Altace DosingFor those people taking Altace to decrease the chances of a heart attack, stroke, or death from cardiovascular causes, the starting dose will generally be 2.5 mg once a day. After one week, the Altace dose may be increased to 5 mg. If tolerated, after 3 more weeks the dose may be increased to 10 mg once a day or divided into two smaller doses (Altace 5 mg twice a day).
- Your Altace dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Altace can be taken with or without food.
- If you have difficulty swallowing a capsule, you can open the capsule and sprinkle the contents over a small amount of applesauce or mix it with 4 oz water or juice. It is important that you then consume the entire amount of mixture in order to benefit completely from the Altace. This mixture may also be stored for up to 48 hours in the refrigerator or 24 hours at room temperature.
- Make sure to take Altace at the same time each day to maintain even levels of Altace in your blood.
- For Altace to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Altace will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you do not take your Altace as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with your normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Altace or your Altace dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Altace without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.