Some signs and symptoms of an overdose with Accupril include extremely low blood pressure, increased levels of sodium or potassium in the blood, and kidney failure. Treatment options may involve pumping the stomach. If the drug has already been absorbed into the body, your healthcare provider will likely use supportive care -- such as closely monitoring the heart and lungs and giving fluids through an intravenous line.
Is It Possible to Take Too Much Accupril?Accupril® (quinapril hydrochloride) is a medication used to control high blood pressure and treat symptoms of congestive heart failure. Even though it has happened on only a few occasions, a person can overdose on Accupril just like any other medication. The effects will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Accupril is taken and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, or drugs.
Symptoms of an Overdose With AccuprilAccupril overdose signs or symptoms can vary, but may include:
- Extremely low blood pressure
- Increased levels of sodium or potassium in the blood
- Kidney failure.
The treatment for an overdose of Accupril will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach."
However, there is no readily available treatment that can remove the drug quickly once it has been absorbed into the body. Therefore, in these cases, treatment involves supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Accupril overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to increase blood pressure
- Other treatments based on complications that occur
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Accupril.